5 Ways to Get In Shape for the New Year
By: Lance Phillips and Dr. John Paul DeMann, CPEC, PPC, and ISSA.
Cumming, GA – October 27, 2010 – There is always that one New Year’s resolution that comes back to haunt us year after year only to remain unfulfilled.
How often have you made it through the holiday feasting to find a few mysterious extra pounds hovering around your midsection and resolved that “this year, I’m going to get into shape”?
And how often has that resolution fallen by the wayside once the fireworks die down and you get back into the momentum of your life?
Dr. John P. DeMann, ISSA certified fitness trainer and owner of The DeMann Life Systems tells us the 5 most manageable ways to stick to those New Year’s Resolutions.
1. Drink lots of water – Our bodies are made up of something like 70% water. Just a 1-2% drop in water intake can severely dehydrate you, limiting your performance in virtually every aspect of your life.
2. Cut out fast food – Fast food just isn’t good for your body. It has too many chemicals, food additives, refined sugars, high fructose corn syrup, fried foods, and an overall lack of nutrition. (Your facility name) advise against this bad habit. Try having a Fuji apple, a vitamin packed banana and a yogurt as an alternative to the fast food cravings.
3. Eat 5-7 small meals per day – Eating small, frequent, sensible meals throughout the day will level out your blood sugar and provide your muscles and body with the appropriate nutrition you need to get you through your entire day. Have at least one serving of fresh fruits or vegetables at every meal.
4. Exercise every day – What do you need to get in the best shape of your life? 60 minutes of vigorous exercise, daily. If you get bored easily doing the same routine day in and day out, feel free to mix it up. On Monday take the dog for a long walk, play tennis on Tuesday, go for a swim at the local pool on Wednesday, go for a bike ride on Thursday and go for a hike on Friday.
5. Consult a personal trainer – Personal trainers train, study, and devote themselves to being a better health and fitness expert every day. If you just book one session to ensure you are on the right track, your body will thank you for it. One of the best insurance policies you can buy!
Dr. DeMann also believes through extensive research and experience that there is much more to health and fitness then just getting into the gym. What we need to realize is that our brain offers a powerful tool that can get us to attain the outcomes we desire when we use the brain in ways it was supposed to be used. Below Dr. DeMann has provided you an eating healthy pattern that will be a powerful tool in your quest for extraordinary health and fitness.
1. Identify the times for eating throughout the day
2. Identify healthy food choice
3. Identify unhealthy food choice
4. Compare outcome in steps 2 and 3 in terms of energy and body composition.
5. Future pace
Dr. John P. DeMann, ISSA Certified Trainer, can be reached at The DeMann-Life-Style-Systems in Cumming, GA where he conducts personal and group coaching in the area of life transformation. The program he has developed works on developing the person as a whole. Using a client centered approach allows the client to decide what they want and with Dr. DeMann as your coach if you are really serious.
Dr. John P. DeMann